Watkins - Abilene Founder Lions Club - Randell and Evangeline Watkins Scholarship
This scholarship was established by the Abilene Founder Lions Club to honor Randell and Evangeline Watkins. Dr. Watkins graduated from North Texas State University in 1929; received his master’s degree in 1934 and doctorate in 1949 from the University of Southern California. His doctorate was the first given by USC. Dr. Watkins was inducted into the Texas Lions Hall of Fame in 1975 after serving many years as a life member and a director of Lions International.
- Must be a graduate of either Abilene High or Cooper and rank between #50 through #150 in your graduating class
- Plan to attend a four-year college/university in Texas
- Must take a minimum of 12 hours of college credit per semester
- Must maintain a minimum of 10 hours of employment per week
- $5,000.00 renewable for 4 yrs
- Supplemental Questions
- Are you a graduating senior of Abilene High or Cooper High?
- Have you attended an AISD high school for your junior and senior year?
- Is your high school ranking between #50 and #150?
- This scholarship requires the recipient to work at least 10 hours per week. Will you be willing to commit to this requirement if you are selected?
- Provide a 250-300 word essay which explains why you want to go to college and what areas of study you plan to pursue. What are your career interests and goals and what has motivated you toward this direction? What do you hope to accomplish with your life?